this link goes to the current camping & hiking close-outs and specials on amazon.com ...deep discounts on better quality gear
Shenandoah National Park Hiking Trails
- Big Devil Stairs Shenandoah NP; GORP site, excellent. Map, description, narrative, suggestions.
- General The "Other" Shenandoah, i.e. getting off the beaten path known as Skyline Drive. Hiker Johnny Molloy describes his hiking experience in the remote areas of this very crowded park.
- General awesome database of over 1500 places to hike and walk in Virginia (Not exclusively Shenandoah NP). Searchable, with trail links, descriptions, maps...outstanding site created by David Fortney. Anyone who hikes in Virginia should bookmark this site.
- General another outstanding site with about a dozen different hikes, including Broad Hollow, Catlett Mountain, Cedar Run, Corbin Cabin, Little Devils Stairs, Nicholson Hollow, Overall Run, Piney Branch, Stony Man Mountain, Thornton Hollow, White Oak Canyon...site called HikingUpward.com, Virginia resident Tony Van Vugt runs it. Excellent, excellent site -- commentary, directions, topo maps, altitude profiles, you name it. Another must click.
- Old Rag here's a link to the Summitpost.org page describing the route to Old Rag from Skyline Drive via the fire roads and White Oak Canyon. 15 mi RT is a lot less crowded than the Old Rag Trail, which originates from the valley to the east.
- Skyline Drive Hikes web page. Nice little introductory site that keys in on a few of the popular destinations.
Back to the main Virginia hiking page
Please click here for the Slackpacker web site
Want to add YOUR Shenandoah National Park hiking page? It's free, it's easy, and there are no strings attached. Please click the "submit a site" button, above left, for instructions and complete information.